I am always looking for ways to make learning fun for my munchkins. Lately, one of the things I am doing with my daughter is reviewing the alphabet, making sure she can write each letter well and knows the phonetic sound that goes with each one. She’s not crazy about repetitive copy work, so I am having her do that part first so she can get to whatever fun game or activity I have planned with it.
Here is my lesson plan, if you can call it that, for the “Fun, Find and Food” theme for the letters A, B and C…
- Color the A page in her book, then fill in the practice page for writing the letter A.
- Attach the coloring page to the lid of a shoebox, as shown.
- Have her make the long A and short a sounds, and tell her to search the house for anything starting with those sounds.
- Watch as she runs excitedly around the house hollering out words for items to see if they start with the letter A.
- Give her a snack starting with an A, in this case, an apple.
Additional snack suggestions: Apricot, Apple Pie, Almonds.
In the above picture, she found: ape, apple, apron, antlers, animal, alligator, angel.
Repeat steps 1-5, just for the letter B.
Snack suggestions: Banana, Berries, Burrito, Blueberry Muffins.
Repeat steps 1-5, just for the letter C.
Snack suggestions: Carrots, Cookies, Crackers, Cucumbers, Craisins.
If you want to do all three letters in one day, you could have them collecting the ingredients for their snacks over the course of the three letters, then eat the snack at the end. For example, you could do a fruit salad with chopped apples and/or apricots, sliced bananas and shredded carrots or some craisins. You could also do a fruit trail mix with a mixture of any or all of the following: dried apples or apricots, almonds, dried bananas or berries, and craisins.
Here is an adorable Alphabetimals coloring book that would work well with this activity, if you need a new one: Alphabetimals Coloring Book (Dover Coloring Books)“>
“Penny Pinching Peach is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com”